It's not you, it's your technique
The problem with most marker lessons and tutorials is that they're based on the copy-cat theory.
"I'll show you how I colored this project. By watching me color, you'll be able to do it too!"
But a monkey-see, monkey do style demonstration only works for that one image. Eventually you hit a brick wall where you've seen it all and understand nothing.
Workshop classes fill in the gaps!
We're learning the basics of realism! It's more than how to do something, learn why. The why is a far more valuable lesson because you can apply it to all of your coloring projects.
No more guessing where the color goes!
Unique challenges - Forever access - Work at your own pace
What's new in Marker Painting Workshops?
- Forever access, work at your own pace
- 13 minute video on shading yellow
- 7 minute video on altering your approach to yellow
- Guided Coloring videos- 2 hours of guided coloring instruction
- Full color samples and printable guides
- Techniques used in include:
- Push & Pull
Make it real, but keep it simple!
Do you stress out about finding the correct marker colors to create realism? Stop worrying! Artists have been using a two step process for hundreds of years which makes color easier. Underpainting creates the correct color for you.
"Lemon Zest" is a 2 hour course on using the grisaille underpainting technique with Copic Markers. Unlike previous Marker Painting Workshops, this class places a special focus on the unique challenges of coloring with yellow and how to avoid using orange or brown markers to shade yellow.
Because folks, dark yellow is definitely not orange!
- 2 hours and 10 minutes of video time
- w Technique Deep Dive videos explore the strategy of underpainting yellow
- extended cut demonstration videos with instructional commentary
- helpful lesson aids including photo references, guide to shade/shadow, and color guides
(project shown in progress)
If you can blend well and color with confidence, learn to apply these basic skills to something more than cartoon stamps. Try out the Vanilla style of instruction and be amazed at what you can do!
Forever access. Work at your own pace.
Student Loyalty Discount:
Vanilla Arts Co. students qualify for a 20% discount on workshop classes. Email Amy at email@example.com for BEFORE making your purchase to receive a discount code.
Follow Vanilla Arts Co. on Instagram for Coloring Tip of the Day
Marker Painting Workshops offer skill-building instruction
Designed for intermediate to advanced students- Once you have mastered the basic blend with Copics, we can build upon that skill to increase your realism.
Lemon Zest is an intermediate to advanced level class which does not cover beginner blending skills.
Every class covers a new art-based technique or concept.
Practice your new technique on the class image but apply the lesson to all your future coloring projects.
Marker Painting Workshops are perfect for:
- Moderate beginners who already have basic Copic blending skills
- Intermediate colorers who are tired of "monkey see, monkey do" classes
- Experienced colorers looking to challenge their current skills
- Shy artists who want more than craft-level classes
I recommend that students start with Marker Painting Foundations if you do not have basic blending skills before starting a Marker Painting Basics class.